Monday, February 23, 2009

Reliable Dog Shops

When I got my first dog, I was conscious of the poor quality of commercial dog food. I went to Petsmart and found a bag of Purina's Beneful dry dog food. It looked decent, with the bag covered in recommendations and nutritious content. When I adopted Cloe from Anti-Cruelty, they sent me home with a bag of Hill's Science Diet, something she was being fed during her stay. I didn't know which food would be better for my growing pup.

I went online to research it. I found that both were extremely high in wheat and corn grain content, which has no nutritional value to dogs. This food was full of filler material. It was cheaply made of bad things, including all the parts of a chicken that we find illegal to eat ourselves. So I talked to a dog rehabilitator, who suggested I go to a nearby pet store that sells organic, healthy dog food and treats.

Sit! in Lincoln Square is a pet store that carries only all-natural dog food. Their focus is on healthy pet nutrition. I asked for the best and was given Orijen dry dog food: "Nourish as Nature Intended." It is made in Canada and has different requirements not imposed by the US. It's made from farm-raised chicken, eggs and fish. I have noticed that Cloe's coat and health has generally improved since we got her on this diet.

I was also pointed towards Old Mother Hubbard's natural dog biscuits, Meyer Country Farms organic Bellyrub liver treats, and Merrick beef tendon Flossie chews. Cloe has enjoyed her all natural diet, sometimes taking it upon herself to supplement with twigs from outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment